Wednesday, March 21, 2012

My Ayurveda Massage Experience

"The Santhigiri Ayurveda facility is located at 91 Broad St. in Winter Garden. The little yard adornment, under the old oak tree says RELAX. With that advice in mind I entered the front door.

Inside I'm greeted in a courteous manner by a young lady. As I wrote my name on the sign-in sheet a tall, amber-skinned gentleman with gentle eyes emerges from behind a lovely curtain. He fixed his warm, smiling gaze on me and I was immediately happy I chose to be there. He was obviously happy to see me as well. He is Dr. G. Nadial Santosh B.A.M.S., Chief Ayurvedic Consultant, trained at Santhigiri Ashram, India, a pioneering Spiritual and Ayurveda institution of great repute.

After a few words of introduction I tour the unpretentious facility. It feels like a special place. There's a massage room in a traditional yet colorful setting; an office, just perfect, no attention on personality but comfortable and welcoming; a main treatment room.

The main treatment room is subtly lit, allowing the bright outdoors to filter through gold-toned curtains. In the center is a large, beautiful wooden table designed for traditional Ayurveda treatments. Because oils are used in conjunction with herbs to facilitate the body's natural healing responses this table is carved to accommodate those oils. In the corner there is a matching wood cabinet made specifically for steam hydro-therapy.

I was there to get a basic treatment, a massage using oils mixed with herbs. I disrobed to my skivvies and sat on a stool to begin. Rather than describe the actual massage techniques just let me say the movements were thorough and the pressure was firm and comfortable.

Dr. Santosh started with my head, working in the scalp. For the remainder of the treatment we moved to the beautiful table. Doctor Santosh was clearly well trained. The movements were confident and deliberate. All of my concerns, for either privacy or comfort were taken into account and I felt secure and respected at every moment. The work itself was comforting, relaxing and invigorating.

After an hour massage I entered the little steam cabinet in the corner. We chatted casually while the steam worked it's magic. Moisture, drawn from my body by the steam, cleansed the pores and flushed toxins stirred by the massage. After twenty or so minutes I was finished. I stepped out of the cabinet, and wearing a robe, retired to the bath where I showered. I felt balanced, warm and cared for.

I know there is much more to Ayurveda than this brief encounter. I am told, and I believe, any health concern may be addressed with Ayurveda, the most ancient of medicines. The Santhigiri Ayruveda facility in Winter Garden is a good place to start 407-490-4322 or 407-756-5255. On the web at http://www.santhigiriashram.org

No comments:

Post a Comment